5 Tips for a Safe Trailer Towing

You should never take towing lightly. Whether it’s a small utility trailer for plants or a larger one for heavy equipment, you should always check for safety.

Besides driving responsibly, you should know the basics of proper trailer towing. You must ensure the hitch is well-connected, and have wire harness trailer accessories and trailer or cage covers to keep your cargo in place.

Before heading to the road, here are five tips for a safe trailer trip:

Hitch Trailer Properly

It can be challenging to hitch your trailer, so we recommend investing in a trailer jockey wheel. Jockey wheels support your vehicle, making it easier to move and position the trailer for hitching.

Also, remember that every trailer has a unique ball and hitch that you cannot swap for another. Ensure you are using the correct parts to avoid the risk of road accidents.

Never Exceed Limit

Understanding your trailer’s weight capacity is crucial to avoiding poor braking performance, handling, and vehicle suspension damage. Note that not all versions of a trailer line have the same towing capacity since it will depend on the bed length, drivelines, and additional equipment.

Make it a habit to consult the owner’s manual for the trailer weight capacity. Additionally, ensure your hitch can handle the trailer’s total weight.

Loading the Cargo

A good rule of thumb when loading the trailer is to maintain balance as much as possible. Following the 60/40 rule, you must place the heaviest load (60%) closer to the front axle, with the remaining 40% loaded behind.

Check the nose of the trailer and ensure it is not dipping too low or raised too high.

Once evenly packed your load, secure them with harnesses, cages, and tarps.

Inspect the Lights

Light fixtures are vital when travelling under low visibility or at night. Lights keep your trailer and its load perceivable to other drivers, mitigating road collisions.

Make sure to check all lights for any burnt-out ones that need replacing. These include signal, tail, and brake lights.

Replace Old Accessories

Other than the lights, replace any worn-out or poorly functioning accessories for your trailer, such as the springs, fittings, covers, lazy axle, and hitch couplings. We suggest buying spares of these parts from the trailer’s manufacturer.

We also recommend having spare tyres and a toolbox ready for emergencies. You can purchase these and many other trailer necessities from Trailers 2000 Parts. Visit their online store today.